Monday, December 8, 2008

MEMORIES OF CHRISTMAS PAST


My Grandma Sullivan is an important memory for me. She loved her Christmas tree and it was decorated with care. She had the oldest ornaments I had ever seen. She saved everything and used it. I can remember her favorite Christmas cards on the tree, some from the 20's and 30's. She saved her lights even if they didn't light up any more, if they were cute she made them into ornaments. Her tinsel must of been hundreds of years old in a childs mind. I can remember her straightening it out and weaving it in and around the tree. Her light reflectors were old as well, honestly, I don't remember her putting anything new on her tree all through the years. In the fifties my uncle Dan started her collection of Nativity figurines. I remember how beautiful they were and how she carefully set them on her console television. We were not allowed to touch them. Think of that, it was probably the only thing she didn't let us touch. She let us play in the toy drawer in the hall, she let us play in her clothes closet and most of all she let us use her ivory handled comb and brush set to do our hair. When christmas time comes around, I miss my Grandmother. She made all time joyous. I can still hear her laughter, and taste her milk coffee. I was privileged to see her almost everyday during my childhood. One of the most memorable Christmas days was the Christmas that Kathleen and Marnee and all the Sullivan girls got bright red tights. It was one of those days when a Colorado Christmas was warm. I can still see us outside getting our picture taken with our legs held out to show off our tights. Grandma always gave us all the same thing. PJ'S. We knew what we were getting but I can remember the excitement of waiting to go up to her house and waiting for Kathleen and Marnee to get there. Children never understand that the cousins had other family as well. Our Uncle Dan was a fun person to share Christmas celebrations with. We thought of him as young as us, until he got married, then we realized he was old. Somehow the years pass by and we are all old together. He is only 12 years my senior. So life plays tricks on me.


My memories seem to well up at Christmas time. I often think of our own 3 children. They were so cute and innocent. I probably was the most blessed mother. I remember the year that Jim and I worked weeks on a train set for Jimmy. Christmas morning he sat on the buildings and kicked all the fancy stuff down trying to chase the train. All we could do is laugh. That was the same day we got Beth a lifesize doll, she named it Merry Christmas. She didn't play with it, but it moved with us for many years. Chris got his Teddy Bear, he named him Sniffles. To this day I still get Hell for throwing out that ragged bear . When we lived in Pueblo we had a Christmas we will never forget. I had a maid who babysat and cleaned one day a week, so I could get all the shopping done and do the military wives thing. I came home one afternoon to find all the Christmas Presents with a J open or missing. The maid believed young Jim that it was ok to open them. When we went into his bedroom there were dad Jim's clothes all hanging out of his dresser drawers. He was looking for a toy car. I quit the maid service and we celebrated Christmas, although it wasn't all I had hoped for, Jim knocked over the tree while handing out presents. I remember being mad and sitting on the front porch pouting. I have never told that story before...There must be something to our relationship we are readying ourselves for christmas number 42 together.

3 comments:

Beth said...

Is that Grandma Ellen Louise in front of her tree? What year is that picture? I loved reading the memories.

Unknown said...

Yes the pic is of Ellen Louise Mahaney Sullivan. I took the pic in 1969 When Jim was in Viet Nam and Young Jim and I lived in Aunt doris's grandparents house on Penn Street in Englewood. Grandma was always invinting us to dinner with her.

Kathleen said...

Mary, Thanks for reminding me of the sweet memories of Christmas. I always thought you were Grandmas favorite because you got to help with the tree and all the Christmas preparations. Running around the hall thru the bed rooms and the closet under the big table was so much fun. Bowling and triping up the adults was a blast too. Finally we graduated to the big table..what a thrill! I loved that because we got to eat off the real china and hear what the adults were talking about. I especially liked putting the cranberries directly in front of me so I could get them without passing it around the whole table. I loved her cranberries!!!
I still have her crumb catcher table sweeper. That's what I wanted. That was my job and I enjoyed sweeping up the crumbs. Got any more photos?